8.01.2009

Making Progress

This week got progressively better in terms of my schedule. It culminated with seeing 4 patients in 1 day at my normal clinic, which was definately a record. That was a lot more fun than what I had been doing thus far. It was only simple things, like checking blood pressure meds and Alzheimer's meds (that lady was so sweet, reminded me of my grandma), but it was fun to have things to do. And the patients were funny too. The guy whose blood pressure I was checking decided he would flex his arm without me knowing, so the blood pressure needle started jumping all over the place. I panicked, but then I realized what he was doing and had a good laugh.

I spent another day in hem/onc and really enjoyed myself. I was allowed to do basically everything on my own- look up the patients on the EMR (electronic medical record), see the patients, report to the attending physician, and write my note into the EMR. I also got "pimped" (aka asked questions by the attending, ex. what is the differential diagnosis for macrocytic anemia...something I should know but only knew part of), so it was a great experience.

Overall in the school department it was a good week. Hard to believe that I only have another 2 weeks of outpatient before my life is taken over by inpatient!

1 comment:

Mandi Merritt said...

Woo hoo!!! Sounds like a good week. Glad things got better for you. When can we see you again?