Well, now that I've been on Peds for a month, I figured I should write something about it...
I L-O-V-E it!
My first three weeks I was on inpatient in the hospital and I think I have decided that the hospital is the place for me. I get SO bored in clinic...most of the patients are healthy, they do NOT need to be at the doctor. I understand the importance of being healthy and staying healthy, and especially for kids I understand "well checks", but they are the most boring things ever. People in the hospital need you. They are sick and there are usually a lot of things that need to be done for them. Things can change very quickly, and I like that. Keeps me on my toes.
Aside from being in the clinic right now, overall I am obsessed. The kiddos put me in such a good mood. I was getting so frustrated with the adults that caused a lot of their own problems and were not willing to fix them 70% of the time. The vast majority of the time, parents are trying to do what's best for their kids, and if you explain to them what they have to do most of them will do it. Most kids had nothing to do with the problems that they are having, and if they did (ex. they swallowed a penny) it is still pretty cute and funny, not frustrating and annoying.
My time has not been perfect: I had one patient "code" (not a true code since she still had a pulse...just "insufficient respiratory effort") twice in 1 week, some teenagers that were just whiners, and some pretty sad social situations to deal with, but just walking into the room with a kid I smile. Since I was considering psych, ED, or neuro, I can still do those but just with a peds concentration. OB doesn't have a peds specialty, but other than that all this experience does is sort of focus me to doing PEDS neuro or CHILD psych, etc. Unless I become a general pediatrician...then all bets are off.
This is a shocking development for me...I was CERTAIN going into this year that I did not want to do peds. This started to change on Family when I got so excited to see all of the kids every time. This rotation helped confirm that for me. I am not committing to peds (or anything else!) at this point, but it definately excites me!
No comments:
Post a Comment